Re: linux console limitations

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: linux console limitations
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 10:18:34 +0000

Hello, Daniel.

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 17:45:28 -0700, Daniel Brooks wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> > The Linux console is limited to 256 glyphs, some of which are used by two
> > or several Unicode characters.  It would be possible but time consuming
> > to amend the font to display the EM-DASH as, say, a minus sign.

> I’ve never tried it (I only heard about it last week), but can you run
> fbterm?

I've also barely heard of it.  On a web search, the only articles I
could find about it were over 10 years old (I couldn't find anything
meaningful on GitHub where it's hosted, either).

Some of these articles described how fbterm has "features".  Two of
these random features took the key sequences C-M-d and C-M-k.  I think
it uses C-<right> and C-<left> to move to the next/previous terminal.
No doubt there are several (or even many) more such features, making the
program not very useful for running Emacs, which uses pretty much all
the key sequences, certainly all the alphabetical keys + modifiers.

So, I've never tried it either.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).