Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 20:43:06 -0700

Ag Ibragimov <agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>   > > I don't care much for VSCode, but LSP provides good consistency. I
>> would love to
>>   > > be able to use elisp packages like lsp-ui while writing elisp code [in
>> Emacs].
>>
>> Can this function effectively in a system that contains no nonfree software?
>
> lsp-ui is an Emacs package. It already works with many (maybe most?)
> languages that work with LSP.
>
> Here's a list of languages that lsp-mode (another Emacs package) currently
> supports:

The by far most interesting Emacs package is eglot, as that is the only
contender that bothered with the copyright assignment.  That means that
this is the only package that we can reasonably imagine will be shipped
with Emacs itself at some point.[1]  I think this would be an important
advance.

Incidentally, discussing a) how we could make that happen, and b) how to
improve eglot, seems much more important to me than an LSP server for
Emacs Lisp.

(I hope that lsp-mode will decide to sort out the copyright assignment
issue, preferably sooner rather than later, so that we could consider
including them in Emacs on technical grounds.  For now, I think that any
efforts to improve them are better spent on eglot.)

Footnotes:
[1]  This is true as long as the Emacs maintainers insist on keeping the
     copyright assignment requirement.  I unfortunately don't see that
     changing.