Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 21:35:45 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>                    GitHub is inherently proprietary, so yes, but what
>   > about this specific feature is different.
>
> GitHub has grave moral faults and has done great harm to the free
> software community, but saying it is "proprietary" is not well
> defined.  That is because GitHub is not a program -- it is a service.
> The distinction of free vs proprietary is defined for programs, but it
> is not defined for services.
>
> [...]
>
> However, I think we're talking about a different kind of feature here.

Yes, that was phrased inadequately, but I do think that the term
"proprietary" is right here, because this is not about
GitHub-the-service but the editor that is actually running in the
browser. Apparently, you can even download extensions, which can also be
non-free.

The documentation[0] is supposed to explain the licensing situation, but
I cannot find a clear statement.  And since VSCode is a propitiatory
fork of "Code" (the editor maintained by Microsoft, published on GitHub
under the MIT license), I assume that the in-browser-VSCode
("Codespaces") is propitiatory too.

[0]
https://docs.github.com/en/github/site-policy/github-terms-for-additional-products-and-features#codespaces

--