Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 06:59:26 +1100

Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> writes:

> Le vendredi 22 octobre 2021, 18:40:06 CEST Dmitry Gutov a écrit :
>> On 22.10.2021 19:23, Mathias Dahl wrote:
>> > About this convenience feature of being able to very easily open VS
>> > Code when browsing GitHub, we could develop our own
>> > Chrome/Edge/Firefox extension to allow the same workflow if we
>> > wanted.
>>
>> The OP was referring to being able to open "VS Code" (a version of it)
>> inside the browser. It's a "cloud IDE" sort of thing.
>

> Is there an implementation/backend of VS Code implemented in javascript,
> or transpiled to it?

I think vs code is an electron app, which means it is largely
implemented in javascript. It uses javascript for it's extension system.

> It would anyway, without having to transpile C to js (which already
> exists, but not including X ofc (hopefully?)), or elisp to js (which may
> already exist or be easily doable from what exists), be possible to
> develop not really an extension but a plugin that would allow open emacs
> inside frames such as it was possible to watch videos before <video> and
> firefox to include its own player

I think the best phrase for here is "Nothing to see here, please move
on". There are already solutions to pass off content from the browser to
Emacs (e.g. org protocol and the edit with emacs extension).

I also think what is really needed in the free software community is not
an extension which allows emacs to run inside a browser or an LSP mode,
but rather a well designed free javascript library which would
facilitate the development of web UIs that would allow sites like
savannah.gnu.org to have an interface as functional and modern looking
as github using free software. I'm sure more people would be just as
happy to use savannah for their project hosting if it didn't look and
feel like being beamed back to 1999 every time you used the site. Such a
library could even be designed and developed with a focus which makes
integration with other free software projects even easier, further
increasing the likelihood of free software being used/preferred in
modern web environments.