Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Ag Ibragimov
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 00:29:31 -0500

> Instead of making it easier for people to put their customizations on
> GitHub, how about making it harder?  It would encourage people to move
> to systems that do not require running proprietary software.

Do you seriously believe that? We should deliberately hinder our own
progress, hoping it somehow would hurt GitHub?

I don't know if you know this, but Emacs Lisp is probably one of the
most popular Lisps out there hosted on GitHub and Gitlab. After over six
decades of Lisp history, today, there's more Elisp code out there than
of any other Lisps, perhaps with the exclusion of maybe Clojure (?).

I can assure you Emacs ecosystem (as we have it today) wouldn't exist
without fantastic authors and maintainers of many great Emacs packages
hosted there.

We can debate all day long about the morality of their choices, but
making decisions that would create some obstacles for them? That would
only annoy people and force them to get creative.

I understand that many people view GitHub as a big evil thing and many
others think it's the second greatest website after Wikipedia. But it
isn't as simple as that - it's not all black and white.

People are the greatest and most precious resource in any programming
language community. Making things nicer for them is the best and the
only way to guarantee the prosperity and growth of that community.

The mission we all are fighting for to promote computer user freedom is
about people. If, for whatever reason, some people like a proprietary
service or software, we need to understand those reasons and try to give
them better alternatives instead of saying: "screw you, we won't let you
integrate with that thing. It's evil."