Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 13:48:29 +0800

Ag Ibragimov <agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com> writes:

>> Instead of making it easier for people to put their customizations on
>> GitHub, how about making it harder?  It would encourage people to move
>> to systems that do not require running proprietary software.

> Do you seriously believe that? We should deliberately hinder our own
> progress, hoping it somehow would hurt GitHub?

But making it easy to host Emacs customizations on GitHub isn't progress
for Emacs.  In fact, it would be very damaging to free software in
general, by encouraging more users to migrate to GitHub.

> The mission we all are fighting for to promote computer user freedom is
> about people. If, for whatever reason, some people like a proprietary
> service or software, we need to understand those reasons and try to give
> them better alternatives instead of saying: "screw you, we won't let you
> integrate with that thing. It's evil."

But if nobody has made such an alternative, it would be bad to simply
encourage people to use the proprietary software.