Re: [ELPA] Add compat.el

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Add compat.el
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 19:08:13 +0000

> Hello again,

... and once more.

> I have been working on compat.el over the last week, and have written a
> number of tests. The source code has been uploaded here:
>
>        https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/compat
>
> The library should be usable in it's current state, but I'd be
> interested to hear from other people and developers too.  There might be
> missing functions or macros, edge cases that could be added to the
> tests, etc. that could be improved.

After debugging the code for a while, I can now say that the code is
functional and passes all the tests I prepared. Sadly this required me
to bump the minimal version up to 24.3. It would have been a lot easier
to bump it to 24.4, but 24.3 is the oldest release still in use on
CentOS 7 machines (I know this because my fathers workstation has this
version of Emacs).

For now I am using GitHub's CI to ensure that changes don't break the
test-suit. I plan to use SourceHut's service at some later point, but
for now the work of preparing old Emacs builds was already taken care of
by Steve Purcell (https://github.com/purcell/setup-emacs), so I took the
easier route for now.

With the infrastructure ready, this means the package could be added to
ELPA, and released along with Emacs 28.1, leaving my some time to
improve the documentation. I'd like to once again make sure there are no
fundamental objections to anything I am doing here. If so, I'd do my
best to fix the issues.

> Finally, compat.el now ends with these lines:
>
> ;; ;;;; Ensure NonGNU ELPA is in `package-archives'
> ;; (with-eval-after-load 'package
> ;;   (unless (or (rassoc "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/"; package-archives)
> ;;               (rassoc "http://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/"; package-archives)
> ;;               (rassoc "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu-devel/";
> package-archives)
> ;;               (rassoc "http://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu-devel/";
> package-archives))
> ;;     (add-to-list 'package-archives '("nongnu" .
> "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/";))))

It seems better to steer away from controversy for now, so I have
removed this snippet.

--
        Philip Kaludercic