Re: Why does this thread code crash my emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why does this thread code crash my emacs?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 22:17:12 +0300

> From: dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 14:45:57 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Yes, I've for a while noticed "s q" (thread-list-send-quit-signal) from
> `list-threads` produces crashes.
>
> I've entered a stopgap patch in bug#51229.  The more correct fix is to get rid
> of a 1991 boolean called "waiting_for_input" but that bill would be much
> tougher to pass politically.

There's nothing political about it.  That variable is part of a
complex state machine used for Emacs input, and to remove it, we'd
need to understand very well when and why it was needed when it was
introduced.  Don't forget that on TTYs we actually handle SIGINT as
part of keyboard input, and waiting_for_input has a role in that case.

IOW, instead of blaming the Emacs development to have some political
issues, why not present a serious analysis of this issue which led you
to the conclusion that the variable can be removed?  Who knows? we
could even (gasp!) accept your analysis.