Re: Installing the current emacs-28 branch under Windows 10

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Installing the current emacs-28 branch under Windows 10
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 22:13:58 +0200

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> You need to install those programs, and make sure they are MinGW
>> programs, not MSYS programs.  The latter might work, but could have
>> subtle "issues", because they are not really native Windows programs,
>> whereas the Emacs you built is.
>
> Thanks for the hint...  I think at this stage I'll consult Phillip Lord,
> which programs he recommends and how to build them..

I was mistaken, in the distributions from Phil Lord are no GNU
"utilities" compiled.  So I installed hunspell from the EZWinPorts
(didn't find ispell and aspell there).  Hunspell is working nicely and
is starting much faster than the ispell/aspell program I had before,
thank you for the ports!  (Further dictionaries can be found here
https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries.)

I also tried to compile hunspell myself and was astonished that
./configure didn't work under the MinGW32 shell only under MinGW64!
Only then I had a closer look and realised that my Emacs compilation
says "x86_64-w64-mingw32".  I'm thoroughly confused, it was compiled
under the MinGW64 shell and now it says -mingw32?  Is the Emacs
executable a 64 bit program or 32 bit which is running on a x86_64
architecture?