Re: Moving kbd to subr.el

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Moving kbd to subr.el
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:05:04 +0000

I think Stefan K suggested making a whole new set of all these functions that would only understand the new syntax. I didn't think that would be doable, because there's so many of them, but I didn't actually count.

It's not only the number of functions that counts, it's the number of times they are used. define-key only is used ~15000 times in core and ELPA.

So, new random thought:

kbd-keymap
kbd-define
kbd-set-globally
kbd-unset-globally kbd-set-locally
kbd-unset-locally
kbd-lookup

As I already said earlier, that's unreasonable. It's clear that at some point the old functions will be deprecated, so in the end it puts the burden on all users and package authors to change their code at many places. When it is possible to ask instead a few users and package authors to change a few characters at a few places.

And I bow out of this thread, somehow I feel that my contributions are not welcome anymore.