Re: Moving kbd to subr.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Moving kbd to subr.el
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 10:43:29 -0700

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

> It's not only the number of functions that counts, it's the number of
> times they are used.  define-key only is used ~15000 times in core and
> ELPA.

That should give pause when thinking about changing its semantics, IMHO.
Especially now that we seem to be converging on a better alternative.

> As I already said earlier, that's unreasonable.  It's clear that at some
> point the old functions will be deprecated,

I don't see us deprecating the old API any time soon.  For now, I think
that the carrot (a better/cleaner/etc. API) will do more for us than the
stick (e.g. byte-compiler warnings).  But that's me.

> And I bow out of this thread, somehow I feel that my contributions are not
> welcome anymore.

I can only speak for myself, but your contributions here have been
welcome.  As long as we keep it civil and to the point, being met with a
contrary view, even while disagreeing with some of the conclusions, can
force you to sharpen and improve your own arguments and reasoning.
Well-reasoned discussion in that way helps make Emacs better, which
after all is the point of this list.

So I hope that you will continue participating in the discussion and
help us make the new API the best it can be, if that is indeed the
solution that we will finally decide on.