Re: [External] : Re: unique syntax for reporting (submitting bugs)

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: unique syntax for reporting (submitting bugs)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 18:07:55 +0200

>>> "DA" == Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:

>> There are two issues here.
>> 1. Have a common syntax for sending bug reports, for example
>> - package-report-bug or
>> - package-submit-bug-report
>> 2. The other, more complex issue, is that within GNU emacs the
>> command emacs-report-bug would send an appropriate bug report
>> based on the mayor mode used when calling the bug-report
>> function

> I don't see the lack of uniqueness as a real problem.
> Can you give an example/scenario that points out what
> problems might arise from it?  I'm not saying there
> are none; I just can't see them yet.

> What you show there are descriptions of solutions.
> It's the problems they're intended to fix that I have
> trouble imagining (so far).

May it is just me. When I want to send a bug report, for some
package/library the first thing I do is running the apropos-command and
searching the word bug, to find out the specific syntax. As I said there
is, at least

    - libname-report-bug

    - libname-submit-bug-report

    - libname-send-bug-report (your example)

So that is confusing I say. If one convention would be chosen, like in
«one ring to rule them all» I think it would simplify things a bit.
At least that is my experience over the years