Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:08:53 +0200

> The `M-x emoji-insert' interface here is strictly better than what I see
> on my phone (which is presumably state of the art).

:-)

> Perhaps we could add arrow keys/TAB/C-n/C-p/etc.+RET navigation,
> though that would just be the cherry on top.

In addition to the letter input thing?

> I did notice that there is a noticeable delay when using the command for
> the first time.  Is that expected?

Funny you should ask -- I've just finished (I think) making the Emacs
build process output the resulting structures to
international/emoji-labels.el, so that we don't have to parse the file
run-time.  And this can also be used by `describe-char' (or something
else) to give the user the name of the displayed grapheme cluster:

(gethash "🇺🇾" emoji--names)
=> "flag: Uruguay"

I haven't hooked that up yet, though -- it should only load that file if
we're describing an emoji grapheme cluster.  So I guess the thing to
test is whether script is `emoji'?

> In addition to "C-g", perhaps it would be good to give a standard key
> like "q" the meaning "go back to the previous screen" and maybe "Q" to
> mean "I changed my mind, close everything and insert no emoji"?

This is the first time I've used transient.el -- do transients normally
bind `q'?

> One final observation is that it would be nice if we could click the
> emojis to insert them, on all screens (including the overview ones).

Yes, that's a good idea.  I don't know whether Transient supports that,
though.  Anybody know, and if it does, what incantation do I have to use
to make that work?

> BTW, when I insert this emoji "🧙🏿‍♀️" and then hit DEL repeatedly, the
> buffer text first turns into "🧙🏿‍♀" and then "🧙🏿", and then "🧙🏿"
> and then "🧙".  Is that a known issue?

That's how it's supposed to work, I think?  It's a grapheme cluster
consisting of three Unicode characters (and two zero-width joiners).