Re: Entering emojis

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:06:14 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 07:43:05 -0700
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > The behavior you suggest could be a user option, by default off, and
> > not specific to Emoji.  Changing the behavior unconditionally, or even
> > making that the default of that option, makes no sense to me, since
> > the current behavior is very old, and I never heard any complaints
> > about it.
>
> Please note my complaint then.  Although I'd like to not only complain
> but also more constructively propose a solution: I think that
> `delete-backward-char' should treat emojis as single characters by
> default.

Would it be good enough to use C-d (or <Delete>) to do that?  Those
already delete the entire composed sequence.  The behavior of DEL is
special and intentional.

> As soon as emoji-insert starts being more widely used, I expect that
> someone will report a bug about this (or complain on IRC and on
> Reddit, and perhaps write up a third-party package
> "fix-delete-emoji.el", etc.).

Let's wait and see, okay?  I'm not saying I know there will be no
complaints, I'm saying we will be able to devise a better solution
if/when we have those complaints, because hopefully they will provide
additional information.