Re: master daea9b3 1/2: Read mailcaps again only when necessary

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master daea9b3 1/2: Read mailcaps again only when necessary
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 17:07:12 -0400

> That's why I think we should also record the size and the inode, and
> we probably should do that before taking file-truename.  The latter is
> just for recording.

There's a case to be made to just store most of the output of
`file-attributes`, indeed, instead of just the modification time.

> Of course, the situation you described is also highly improbable: why
> should the same program care about two files in exactly that sequence
> as to make your point for you?  What are the chances of that?

Maybe it's highly unlikely, indeed.

But I don't see what's the benefit of calling `file-truename`: I know it
makes it slower and introduces an (unlikely) broken corner case, but
what's the upside?

        Stefan