Re: master daea9b3 1/2: Read mailcaps again only when necessary

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master daea9b3 1/2: Read mailcaps again only when necessary
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 09:51:58 -0400

>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Cc: larsi@gnus.org,  gregory@heytings.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 17:07:12 -0400
>>
>> But I don't see what's the benefit of calling `file-truename`: I know it
>> makes it slower and introduces an (unlikely) broken corner case, but
>> what's the upside?
>
> It will avoid several false responses, with symlinks and on
> filesystems with special "features", like case-insensitivity.

I can see cases where using `file-truename` will return slightly less
pessimistic results, e.g. if we test "FooBar" after having tested
"foobar" it may avoid deciding it's changed even tho it wasn't.
But that seems like a very minor advantage (such pessimistic results
are largely unavoidable, so code should be prepared to work correctly
in their presence anyway).

        Stefan