Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a simple solution
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 19:56:56 +0200

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 00:41:07 +0700
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Clément Pit-Claudel
> <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>,
>       Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>, Stefan Monnier
> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>       Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> >      (space-mark #x2068 [#x21A7]) ; ↧ FIRST STRONG ISOLATE

This one doesn't make sense, at least if one knows what FSI means and
does.

> >      (space-mark #x202C [#x21D1]) ; ⇑ POP DIRECTIONAL FORMATTING
> >      (space-mark #x2069 [#x2912]) ; ⤒ POP DIRECTIONAL ISOLATE
> >      )))
>
> I like! I already enable whitespace-mode in prog-mode and text-mode
> (and that leaves out read-only modes such as Info and Dired where I
> don’t want visible whitespace, and various unclassified modes such as
> conf-mode where I do but haven’t gotten around to setting them all
> up).

The problem with these remappings is that you then get to somehow
discern between the remapped characters and the real characters which
look identically on display.

Also, this will disrupt alignment and make text using these controls
much harder to read.  E.g., the few places in TUTORIAL.he which use
those controls are barely readable after turning the above on.

Anyway, if one wants to be able to highlight certain characters on
display, one could also use highlight-regexp, I think.