Support for background transparency

From: Håkon Flatval
Subject: Support for background transparency
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 19:45:03 +0000

Hi, emacs-devel!

I have implemented partial support for background transparency in Emacs. The fork, including a description in the README can be found at https://github.com/TheVaffel/emacs. This implementation has only been made for Xlib+gtk3+cairo builds.

After posting about this in the Emacs subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/qm3tsv/i_implemented_partial_support_for_background/), it appears to me that this is a feature that is of interest to many Emacs users.

To start off, I would just like to feel the attitude towards this feature among other Emacs developers. In general, are there any with strong opinions in favor or against this feature?

As I'm completely new to the community, I'd also like some input as to how one proceeds with planning and implementation given there is interest for this to be made reality. I would be happy to work on this, but not sure I feel comfortable / knowledgable enough to do everything on my own.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,
Håkon Flatval