Re: `M-x yank-media'

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: `M-x yank-media'
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 21:38:13 +0800

> I haven't looked at Windows, but I'm guessing it has to grow a similar
> set of capabilities.

I can't claim to understand how the clipboard works under MS-Windows, or
indeed how Emacs handles the clipboard under X-Windows, but I don't
think it will be easy to emulate the astoundingly overengineered, and
sometimes useful, selection mechanism defined by the ICCCM.  I think
that when trying to put media into a selection, non-X systems tend to
just put a link (such as a filename, or an inode number) to some file
containing the contents of the media into the clipboard as plain text.

AFAIK, though, these other systems just define something similar to cut
buffers.