Re: Failure building with libgccjit under MacOS Monterey

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Failure building with libgccjit under MacOS Monterey
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:49:28 -0500

On 11/8/21 15:16, Alan Third wrote:
On Sun, Nov 07, 2021 at 04:46:21PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
Howdy! I suspect this is a mistake I'm making somewhere, but I'd like a hint
on where to look to fix it. When building the Emacs 28 branch on the latest
MacOS, I unexpectedly get a failure:

   configure: error: The installed libgccjit failed to compile and run a test
program using
   the libgccjit library; see config.log for the details of the failure.

Looking at the config.log says (I think this is the key line):

   ld: library not found for -lSystem

A few weeks ago I was building JIT versions of Emacs just fine with the same
configuration; updating the OS might or might not have been the big change.
Any ideas what I might need to fix?
How have you installed libgccjit?

Using MacPorts. The mechanism hasn't changed significantly since it was last working (nor has the package).

It might be helpful to give a little more context around the error. Is
there a complete command that it's trying to run?

I can forward the full build configure if that will help. I suspect most people on the mailing list don't want to see it; should I send it to you personally?

Perry