Re: Failure building with libgccjit under MacOS Monterey

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Failure building with libgccjit under MacOS Monterey
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 21:23:58 +0000

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 03:49:28PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On 11/8/21 15:16, Alan Third wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 07, 2021 at 04:46:21PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > > Howdy! I suspect this is a mistake I'm making somewhere, but I'd like a
> > > hint
> > > on where to look to fix it. When building the Emacs 28 branch on the
> > > latest
> > > MacOS, I unexpectedly get a failure:
> > >
> > >    configure: error: The installed libgccjit failed to compile and run a
> > > test
> > > program using
> > >    the libgccjit library; see config.log for the details of the failure.
> > >
> > > Looking at the config.log says (I think this is the key line):
> > >
> > >    ld: library not found for -lSystem
> > >
> > > A few weeks ago I was building JIT versions of Emacs just fine with the
> > > same
> > > configuration; updating the OS might or might not have been the big
> > > change.
> > > Any ideas what I might need to fix?
> > How have you installed libgccjit?
>
> Using MacPorts. The mechanism hasn't changed significantly since it was last
> working (nor has the package).
>
> > It might be helpful to give a little more context around the error. Is
> > there a complete command that it's trying to run?
>
> I can forward the full build configure if that will help. I suspect most
> people on the mailing list don't want to see it; should I send it to you
> personally?

Hmm, I don't see anything wrong with the command lines. It looks like
the error is actually being caused by the attempt to set up or use
libgccjit within the smoketest.

I don't know anything about how that works. The full error text for
anyone interested is below.

configure:17126: /usr/bin/cc -o conftest -g3 -O2
-I/opt/local/include/librsvg-2.0 -I/opt/local/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0
-I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/cairo -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/local/lib/glib-2.0/include
-I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/pixman-1 -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include/ossp -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include/libpng16 -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/gcc11
-I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/gcc11 -L/opt/local/lib
-L/opt/local/lib/gcc11 conftest.c -lgccjit   -L/opt/local/lib/gcc11 >&5
configure:17126: $? = 0
configure:17126: ./conftest
ld: library not found for -lSystem
libgccjit.so: error: error invoking gcc driver
configure:17126: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1

<snip smoke test code>

configure:17131: error: The installed libgccjit failed to compile and run a
test program using
the libgccjit library; see config.log for the details of the failure.
The test program can be found here:
<https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/jit/intro/tutorial01.html>.
You can try compiling it yourself to investigate the issues.
Please report the issue to your distribution if libgccjit was installed
through that.
You can find the instructions on how to compile and install libgccjit from
source on this site:
<https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/JIT>.

--
Alan Third