ELPA: add mct.el

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: ELPA: add mct.el
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 19:45:29 +0200

Hello everyone,

I have a package called "Minibuffer and Completions in Tandem" (MCT,
mct, mct.el, ...) that I want to submit to GNU ELPA.  Patch attached.

It is meant to be a thin layer of interactivity on top of the default
minibuffer and the Completions' buffer.

At its core, mct adds commands that treat the minibuffer and the
Completions as a unified space.  So you can cycle between the two with
C-n, C-p, etc. when mct-mode is enabled.

It also implements a "live completions" paradigm, where the Completions'
buffer (optionally) pops up and gets updated to match the user's input.

There are several user options on offer to control the layout of the
Completions, when/if to do live updates, what the delay should be, as
well as a passlist and blocklist that can target specific commands for
the purposes of live updating.

The project's manual describes those in further detail.

Notes
-----

+ I have made mct depend on Emacs 28, as that has the 'one-column' style
  for the 'completions-format'.  However the cyclic motions have been
  designed to work with the grid layouts as well.  Can I keep it that
  way or must I make it depend on Emacs 27?

+ I have received patches from James Norman Vladimir Cash and Philip
  Kaludercic (both in Cc).  Philip is covered in terms of copyright
  assignment to the FSF.  James has signed the CLA for Emacs.  Is that
  sufficient?

+ Some code is adapted from GPL'd code by Omar Antolín Camarena (the
  author of Embark on GNU ELPA).

+ A tiny helper function is taken from Daniel Mendler's Vertico
  documentation (also on GNU ELPA).

+ One function, mct--add-stripes, is adapted from code that Štěpán Němec
  maintains in stripes.el:
  <https://gitlab.com/stepnem/stripes-el/-/blob/master/stripes.el>.  The
  file says it belongs to the public domain.

What do you think?

All the best,
Protesilaos (or simply "Prot")

--