Re: Round-tripping key definitions

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Round-tripping key definitions
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:25:44 +0800

>>   >            so either we keep `?\C-i` as 9 and introduce a new syntax
>>   > for "character i with a control modifier", or we change the value and
>>   > risk breaking some programs (tho maybe we can auto-fix the vast
>>   > majority with appropriate heuristics)).
>>
>> That would break a lot of old code.
>
> I thought so too, but I've been playing with a quick&dirty patch to
> see how much breakage it introduces and it seems it's not nearly as
> bad as I thought.  I'm starting to believe that maybe we could pull it
> off, tho I haven't had enough experience with it yet to be sure.

Removing the correspondence between ctrl modifier and the ASCII control
character would at the very least break the xwidget code in a
non-trivial manner, a and probably a lot of comint-related code too,
just to name a few.

It would also break `teco.el', a fun toy implementing the TECO text
editor inside GNU Emacs.

I have no interest in updating the xwidget code if this change is made.