Re: Round-tripping key definitions

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Round-tripping key definitions
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:58:25 +0800

> I don't have any plan to push such a change (at least not yet ;-).
> I just played with it, to get a feel for what's the landscape like, and
> I was surprised to see that it might be not nearly as a bad as I expected.

That's a relief, thanks.

> BTW, in that same vicinity is another (yet more tricky) conflation,
> which is the one for the shift modifier.  I have a pretty good idea of
> what the control modifier should do ideally (if we could rewrite the
> past), but I don't even have a clear idea of how to handle the shift
> modifier in a clean and regular way.

Yes, I noticed that as well.  Handling the shift modifier was also a
huge PITA when developing the Haiku port.

> If it only breaks `teco.el` and xwidget, then we're in business
> (because I'd be happy to update those).

The list I gave was in no way conclusive :)  I only named code that
would experience catastrophic failure if the change was made.

For instance, I'm sure the behavior of `C-q C-d' would change if such a
change was made.