Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:17:00 +0100

> Except for when you want to say things like:
>
>     This "frobnicates" the turbo encabulator.
>
> IOW, where the thing in quotes are just regular words.  I'm positive we
> have such cases, but I can't remember where.

We probably have, but it's pretty rare.  (Mostly because people don't
like typing \" all over the place, I think.)

>> I think going full Org in the doc strings would be excessive -- it's
>> pretty easy to detect Emacs Lisp.
>
> Yes, it must be slimmed down to its absolute bare essentials.  IOW, we
> should consider only those parts that we see a need for.
>
> BTW, Markdown has a nice way to mark monospace blocks, if we want to
> avoid relying on heuristics or simply provide a fire-escape if it fails:
>
> ```
> like this
> ```
>
> Although it is far less powerful than what Org-mode does, it is also
> much simpler and less noisy.

Yup.  We currently use \ as the escape character (with \\< and \\[ and
\\=), so we could continue to use that:

\\*
like this
\\*

Or something.  On the other hand, \\ is really kinda ugly.