Re: Tick Reduction

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:58:11 -0500

> And, of course, we could also consider using proportional fonts for the
> non-code prose bits:

On a docstring like that of `pcase` the result is a bit poor.

Also, it makes line lengths vary even more; as a result, it ends up
crying for re-filling the text.  Especially since, while most lines end
up shorter when displayed with proportional fonts, occasionally some
lines end up longer, causing line-wrapping.

Clearly, we would benefit from a formal markup language (and one which
includes some way to align text into columns).  Note that for the column
display, I think we actually need an extension to the current `space`
thingy on the `display` property which is able to align columns even
without the buffer's data telling the redisplay at which precise pixel
position it should be aligned (instead it should just add space until
the columns are visually aligned).

        Stefan "happy user of proportional font for the mode-line,
                and not so happy user of proportional fonts for docstrings"