Re: GStreamer xwidget

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: GStreamer xwidget
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 16:05:07 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > I would like to install the following change that introduces a
>   > GStreamer-based media widget.
>
>   > It depends on GStreamer, gst-plugins-base, and gst-plugins-good and is
>   > thus a compile-time option.

> Before deciding whether to install this, we need to understand clearly
> what jobs it can do.  What kinds of media does GStreamer stream?

The plugins that this change takes advantage of will only stream free
software, as it doesn't depend on gst-plugins-ugly or gst-plugins-bad.

> Which formats?  Does GStreamer implement DRM?

I can't give a definitive list of formats, but the GStreamer plugins
this change will take advantage of only support free formats, consist
entirely of free code, and have a policy against implementing DRM.

> Is GStreamer 100% free ziyou software, with no exceptions?

GStreamer itself is a framework that is 100% free (as in freedom)
software.  There are proprietary plugins that implement DRM, but they
are separate from GStreamer itself and the base and good plugins, and
Emacs will not use them even if present on a user's system.

> We also have to think about whether it is good or bad to introduce
> this nonmodularity.  What is better about showing videos this way,
> rather than just launching vlc in another window?

People seem to want that in Emacs.

Thanks.