Re: GStreamer xwidget

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GStreamer xwidget
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 02:42:11 -0500

  > I would like to install the following change that introduces a
  > GStreamer-based media widget.

  > It depends on GStreamer, gst-plugins-base, and gst-plugins-good and is
  > thus a compile-time option.

Before deciding whether to install this, we need to understand clearly
what jobs it can do.  What kinds of media does GStreamer stream?
Which formats?  Does GStreamer implement DRM?  Is GStreamer 100% free
ziyou software, with no exceptions?

We also have to think about whether it is good or bad to introduce
this nonmodularity.  What is better about showing videos this way,
rather than just launching vlc in another window?