Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 21:10:29 +0100

By the way, reading the manual on the `space' display thing, I don't
quite understand this bit:

@item :relative-width @var{factor}
Specifies that the width of the stretch should be computed from the
first character in the group of consecutive characters that have the
same @code{display} property.  The space width is the pixel width of
that character, multiplied by @var{factor}.  (On text-mode terminals,
the ``pixel width'' of a character is usually 1, but it could be more
for TABs and double-width CJK characters.)

:relative-width is used only one place in our code base, and I'm not
quite sure what it's trying to achieve there, either.

The doc string here seems to be saying something about a series of
characters, but the one usage we have only puts it on a single
character, apparently?