Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 15:55:53 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> No, not on GUI frames.  On GUI frames this works at pixel resolution,
> so it produces (or should, but currently fails to produce) a stretch
> of whitespace whose pixel width is exactly like that of the glyph for
> 😀 produced by your font.  char-width is only for TTY frames and for
> crude approximations on GUI frames.

Ah, I see.  And we didn't have `string-pixel-width' in the olden days,
so this would be a way to line stuff up without knowing that.  And it's
dynamic, so if you change the font (or instantiate on a different
display/frame type), then things will still line up.

OK, I can see how it could be useful now.