Re: copyright issues and derivative work (the case of matlab-mode)

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: copyright issues and derivative work (the case of matlab-mode)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 17:59:21 +0100

> It's a, assuming that those code lines are gone for good, i.e. the
> current code is not merely some transformation of those original
> lines.  The "annotate" (or "blame") command will not tell you, because
> it attributes whole lines; you need to look at the diffs between the
> last version that did have that code and the current code, and analyze
> that.

I know that annotate/blame is not enough. I do precisely what you are
suggesting: looking  at the diffs, that is why this it is so extensive, 🙃

> Btw, the "15-lines" rule is just an approximation: depending on what
> are those lines, it could be much more, or it could be slightly less.
> It's a judgment call, not a mechanistic line count.

I see, on that subject another question for the future: suppose I as a
maintainer receive a 2 lines patch for example

,----

| diff --git a/elisp/matlab-emacs/matlab.el b/elisp/matlab-emacs/matlab.el
| index 63ce838..71b6ff0 100755
| --- a/elisp/matlab-emacs/matlab.el
| +++ b/elisp/matlab-emacs/matlab.el
| @@ -3731,6 +3731,6 @@ If ARG is nil, then highlighting is toggled."
|                         post-command-hook)
|                 -1 1)))
|      (if (> arg 0)
| -     (add-hook 'post-command-hook 'matlab-start-block-highlight-timer)
| -      (remove-hook 'post-command-hook 'matlab-start-block-highlight-timer))))
| +     (add-hook 'post-command-hook 'matlab-start-block-highlight-timer nil
:local)
| +      (remove-hook 'post-command-hook 'matlab-start-block-highlight-timer
:local))))

`----

Since this is legally not significant, (I hope you agree):

Should I commit this under my name (with reference in the log message to
the author), or should I commit that under the authors name?

Regards