Re: copyright issues and derivative work (the case of matlab-mode)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: copyright issues and derivative work (the case of matlab-mode)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 08:19:35 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: oub@mat.ucm.es, oub@mat.ucm.es, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:08:36 -0500
>
>   > > Just one observation, by author you mean
>   > >
>   > > Author =  Name <emailaddress>
>   > >
>   > > Right?
>
>   > Yes.  That's Git rules, not ours.
>
> Regardless of where the rule comes from, restating it here will
> help people know what to do.

Sorry, no.  There's a lot of small factoids like this one, so if we
start mentioning them, it's a slippery slope, because we will get
pressured to mention more and more by people who must have everything
in writing for them to accept it.  I object to making our
documentation a Git tutorial.  Once again, people with write access to
the repository are expected to know how to use Git.  Besides, many, if
not all, mistakes in the value of --author will be detected by Git
itself and rejected.