Re: How to revert the mode line on master

From: john
Subject: Re: How to revert the mode line on master
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 17:09:09 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

I do not like the new behavior of mode line on master. How to revert?

Thanks

I too dislike the new mode line; in patucular the * to show the buffer as been modified was nreadable

I saw the suggesion that there are instructions to revert in NEWS but....

** The mode line now uses a proportional font by default.
To get the old monospaced mode line back, customize the 'mode-line'
face not to inherit from the 'variable-pitch' face, or add this to
your ~/.emacs:

 (set-face-attribute 'mode-line t :inherit nil)

I tried adding that to my .emacs but nothing changed. I trid customising the mode-line face but failed to see where to do this, not detecting anything mentioning variable-pitch.

I rarely customise emacs so do not have much practice so I am lost. But I really want the old mode-line back. Could someone give blow by blow
instructions please?

==John ff