Is a `max-width' spec feasible?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Is a `max-width' spec feasible?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:25:33 +0100

I haven't looked at this at all, so I'm just throwing this out there so
I don't forget (before going out):  Would a `max-width' display spec be
feasible?

That is, it's like `min-width', but if we've reached an it->current_x
that's wider than the spec, then we throw out all glyphs we've already
prepared, back to the desired width?

This would make a variable pitch table trivial to implement -- you'd
just insert a bunch of strings with both min-width and max-width, and
the display engine would do all the stretching/chopping for you.

If the strings were very long, this would be massively inefficient, of
course, but let's assume that we're not doing that.

Or...  we could just skip rendering the glyphs if we're going to surpass
the desired current_x?  Yes, that sounds more efficient?

OK, gotta run.