Re: Is a `max-width' spec feasible?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is a `max-width' spec feasible?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 12:07:54 -0500

> I haven't looked at this at all, so I'm just throwing this out there so
> I don't forget (before going out):  Would a `max-width' display spec be
> feasible?

I'm not the right person to answer.  But I'd welcome this
functionality, indeed.

> That is, it's like `min-width', but if we've reached an it->current_x
> that's wider than the spec, then we throw out all glyphs we've already
> prepared, back to the desired width?

Side note: `truncate-string-to-width` doesn't just throw away the
excess but also inserts an ellipsis to announce the truncation, so if we
add such a `max-width` it'd be desirable to make it display an ellipsis
as well when truncating text.

        Stefan