Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 08:12:48 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> You mean, add space inside of a word?  That could at first be avoided,
> because doing that isn't trivial.

Not trivial in what way?

> I'm not sure min-width is the right implementation for that, because
> we don't really want to put a separate property on each character.
> This should probably be implemented by tweaking the advance width the
> glyphs or something.

That'd probably be more efficient, but some cursory testing seems to
indicate that putting a min-width on every char in a pretty big buffer
works fine.

> And whole-pixels are probably too coarse a granularity for that in most
> cases (especially with non-HiDPI screens).

It depends on the resolution.  Here's the same sentence without and with
a min-width on each char that's one pixel wider than the natural width:

PNG image

Looks fine here, but this is a 320PPI display.  For low resolutions,
doing this sort of thing is probably not recommended.