Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 16:10:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> To do this with a variable pitch text, you'd have to first fill a line
>> normally, and then go over the line and distribute some space pixels
>> everywhere (or just on spaces in the line).  (This can (conveniently
>> enough) probably be done with the new `min-width' spec (if we're
>> distributing the extra pixels on all characters and not just the
>> spaces).)
>
> Since we will have spaces in the text from the filling, we could use
> the :width display spec on those space characters.  There should be no
> need for min-width.

Yes, if we're distributing the extra space on the space characters only,
we can use space specs.  But usually typesetters don't do that -- they
also distribute some of the space between other characters, too, to get
a more even "greyness".  (Or whatever they call it -- it's been a few
years since I read up on typography last time.)