Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:08:05 +0800

> Has anybody pondered these deep and eternal questions before?  If so,
> please chime in before I start typing away at this library.

I am not sure if it is 100% relevant, but it would be useful to have
native pixel-precise justification support for things like
tabulated-list-mode and Org mode tables.

In tabulated special modes, we often need to adjust and justify text to
span over predefined width and alignt to left/right/center. The standard
Emacs approach using column numbers/character count often looks ugly on
variable pitch fonts.

Things get even worse on window resize. Truncated/filled fields can only
be defined in absolute units and cannot just be a fraction of total
window width.

Best,
Ihor