Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:09:19 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> It is also unnecessary, because having 2 pixels to the right of each
> character is practically indistinguishable from having one pixel on
> the left and 1 pixel on the right: you still end up with 2 pixels
> between any two characters.

The difference is with the characters above and below.  When doing a
monospaced "grid" display, the Roman characters will form a reliable
grid while the CJK will be put to the left in their allotted space.

Having them in the middle of that space might be more pleasing, but
again, I think we need some input from CJK users here to see what they
expect.

And we could perhaps leave this as an option to be specified by the user
(somehow).  I.e., flush left, flush right and middle.  But perhaps this
is over-engineering again.