Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:15:00 -0800

On Nov 29, 2021, at 11:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 10:44:32 -0800
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
emacs-devel@gnu.org

I think aligning to middle is better, see the image below.

Please also try a line that begins with CJK characters below a line
that begins with English characters.  In that case, flushed left
should look the best, because it will be aligned with the beginnings
of the other lines.

I manually inserted spaces between CJK characters to align them to ASCII characters. The second line is flushed left, the third flushed right, and the fourth aligned to middle. If we flush the CJK to left, CJK characters are closer to the text before and further from the text after, and vice versa for flushing right. The middle-aligned line looks better.

In real-life use, there will usually be a space character between
English and CJK, right?  If so, the minor pixel differences you
mention will not be usually perceptible.  By contrast, the problem
with the leftmost characters not being aligned will _always_ be
visible, and will make the display ugly if not downright buggy by its
looks.

You are right :-)

Yuan