Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:46:57 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Right.  This reminds me -- perhaps we'd want to distribute the extra
>> space both before and after the glyph, to centre it within its allotted
>> width?
>
> I don't think so, because that would move the leftmost character away
> from the window-edge.

Yes...  but it that necessarily bad?  I'm not sure what CJK users (which
is who this would be relevant for) would prefer here -- please do chime
up if you're such a user.

>> It's the same as for all these width specs -- it's FRAME_COLUMN_WIDTH.
>
> That's not the best possibility, because if some part of the affected
> text uses a smaller font, you'd see glyphs that are too-widely spaced?

All these specs (`space' and whatnot) refer to FRAME_COLUMN_WIDTH in
their logic.  (I mean, for those parts that aren't actual pixels.)

And I'm not quite sure what you mean here -- we're talking about
allowing people to "quantise" the widths to some common multiple, which
means that that is indeed what you'd see.  But that's what the user
asked for.

So mixing in smaller fonts in such a display wouldn't really be part of
the remit...

We could add a fourth spec to quantise to the font's "typical width",
but I don't see the use case for that.