Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:43:22 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:22:18 +0800
>
> > Second, look at the scrolling code in window.c: under some conditions,
> > it decides up front that point will be invisible, and then either
> > moves point or modifies the scroll (i.e. the window-start).  That,
> > too, will have to be revisited and carefully audited.
>
> Is any of that scrolling code used during redisplay (for instance, if
> the window start is changed?)

It certainly affects redisplay.  It might also be called by redisplay,
I don't remember.  However, ...

> The main use I have for this feature will be in the pixel scrolling
> code, which doesn't use any of the normal scrolling commands.

... it makes very little sense to me to introduce such a feature only
for the sake of pixel-wise scrolling.  We should allow such a mode
with all the Emacs commands, not just in pixel-wise scrolling.  And
anyway, Emacs might call scrolling commands as part of other commands,
not just because the user types C-v.