Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:58:20 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:47:15 +0800
>
> Hmm, thanks.  One small question though: what should I do in order to
> make a window's cursor invisible?

Prevent display_and_set_cursor from being called, I presume?

There's also set_cursor_from_row, which calculates where to display
the cursor, and something should be done about that to indicate that
the cursor is not shown at all.

> I want to detect if PT is before window start, and in that case refrain
> from displaying the phys cursor.  Right now, I test for that condition
> in redisplay_window, and the test seems to work

display_and_set_cursor is also called from dispnew.c, so I'm not sure
redisplay_window alone will be enough.

And why only "before window start"? what about beyond window's end?

> but I have no idea how to mark the window's cursor as invisible, so
> to speak.

I think you need to add something to the struct window's 'cursor' and
'phys_cursor' members.

> Or perhaps this is an X/Y question, but I'm not sure.

You cannot express coordinates outside of the window as X/Y.