Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 20:47:15 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Emacs is much more complex than "other programs", and many
> commands/functions are invoked in different contexts, where user
> expectations regarding this aspect could be different.  Moreover, we
> have a lot of code that disregards the context because the assumption
> is that point is always visible, something that is obtained by a
> coordinated effort of many parts of Emacs code (so if one of them
> doesn't make point visible, some other one will).  Making this
> well-orchestrated effort do something different (let alone do it
> optionally, since I expect quite a few users to want not to have this
> new behavior) will probably require some new protocol.

Hmm, thanks.  One small question though: what should I do in order to
make a window's cursor invisible?

I want to detect if PT is before window start, and in that case refrain
from displaying the phys cursor.  Right now, I test for that condition
in redisplay_window, and the test seems to work, but I have no idea how
to mark the window's cursor as invisible, so to speak.

Or perhaps this is an X/Y question, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.