Re: [External] : Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:32:58 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>,  luangruo@yahoo.com,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 19:10:13 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I think kill commands that use point should be disabled when point is
> > outside of the viewport.
>
> Perhaps all (well, most) commands should be disabled in this case?
> I.e., all commands do nothing except display point?

I don't know.  I'd need to think about this.  But "all commands"
sounds too many ;-)

> It's not what (say) Libreoffice does, though -- if you've marked some
> text, scroll away with the scroll bar, and then hit DEL, it'll delete
> the marked text...

Those "other applications" only support region operations on
highlighted text, which avoids using (the equivalent of) point.  Emacs
could do that as well (but it will have to preserve point in this
hypothetical mode when highlighting text with point outside of the
viewport).