Re: PACKAGE-FEATURES, and hot update of Emacs packages

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: PACKAGE-FEATURES, and hot update of Emacs packages
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 02:30:02 +1300

On 2021-11-28 01:16, Phil Sainty wrote:
I suppose (package-desc-version (package-load-descriptor DIR)) can be
used for ELPA packages installed in the standard way, so maybe there's
scope for using that; but I suspect that'd be too brittle an approach,
as there are many non-standard ways of loading things.

I phrased that final bit very confusingly.

I just meant that a file which is intended to be installed as an
ELPA package might actually be loaded directly from some non-ELPA
source, or even evaluated via `eval-buffer', and so an approach
which depended on a *-pkg.el being present in the same directory
could fail in those situations, causing inconsistent behaviour.

-Phil