Re: PACKAGE-FEATURES, and hot update of Emacs packages

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: PACKAGE-FEATURES, and hot update of Emacs packages
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:23:21 +1300

On 2021-11-28 14:04, Tim Cross wrote:
While I like the idea of being able to use package version to help
manage this, the problem is there is no standardisation of package
version formats. This makes calculation of which version is before/after
another version unreliable.

Version comparisons are very well defined; but I guess you're referring
to MELPA's horribly-broken approach to versions here?  A test with a
package installed from MELPA confirms that `package-desc-version' and
`package-get-version' do pick up on whatever version MELPA assigned, so
I guess that's unreliable as you say.  Along with my earlier misgivings
about assuming that any given library had been installed as a package in
the first place, I agree that this doesn't seem like a viable approach.

The code itself would include the *real* version number, though, so in
principle I think it would be possible to utilise that; but I think it's
currently only exposed in the .el source.

If the .elc file contained the version number as well, I think that
load-time version-update tracking would become possible?

-Phil