Re: Current status of emba.gnu.org?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Current status of emba.gnu.org?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:38:40 +0100

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> BTW, just because I'm curious, what is the current status of our
> automated tests on emba.gnu.org?

They are up and running. There will still be some optimizations, but
that's minor.

> Are we nearing a situation where we could start relying on it for things
> like sending automated messages to committers when they introduce
> regressions?  That would be a real time-saver.

We could start to implement this. It won't be trivial, though. The Emacs
git repository on emba is a mirror from savannah. But it is not synced
automatically, because we run the community edition of Gitlab only,
which does not support pull mirroring.

Instead, we have a cronjob on emba.gnu.org, which pulls all changes from
savannah every 5 minutes. So a new pipeline on emba could start
triggered by several independent commits pushed to Emacs git on
savannah. In case the pipeline (respective one of its jobs) fails, we
don't know who is the author of the problematic commit. So all commit
authors would get a notification email, even if not guilty.

I don't know how relevant this is, most commits are performed with more
than 5 minutes in between. Let's see how it goes.

> Oh, and thanks again for working on this.

Well, first I need to investigate how to trigger such emails with
Gitlab. If somebody know, pls share this knowledge.

Best regards, Michael.