Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 20:34:52 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> No?  If the ":" becomes twice as wide, that won't affect the min-width
>> of the last "-".  And so the bits after the last "-" will shift to the
>> right.
>
> But the same will happen in your case if ":" becomes 10 times as wide!
> there's no end to this if we are going to consider hypothetical cases
> which will never happen.  min-width is about handling too-narrow
> strings, not too wide strings.

I'm not considering any hypothetical cases -- I'm just describing the
bog-standard way this works.

Adding a wide min-width to the last "-" is not affected by any of the
previous bits.  We're putting a too-wide min-width over all these four
characters to allow them to stretch individually outside their allotted
spaces, but without affecting the part afterwards.

I'm not quibbling or trying to be difficult here -- this is extremely
basic, and I don't think you've thought this through.

Trust me.