Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 21:58:45 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 20:34:52 +0100
>
> I'm not considering any hypothetical cases -- I'm just describing the
> bog-standard way this works.

Then please explain how a ":" character can become twice wider.

> Adding a wide min-width to the last "-" is not affected by any of the
> previous bits.  We're putting a too-wide min-width over all these four
> characters to allow them to stretch individually outside their allotted
> spaces, but without affecting the part afterwards.

Characters don't stretch, they stay the same width.  If "-" is
replaced by "*", then the width could change, but if each of them has
a min-width that accommodates all the possibilities, that won't give
us any trouble.

> I'm not quibbling or trying to be difficult here -- this is extremely
> basic, and I don't think you've thought this through.
>
> Trust me.

Sorry, I cannot write code out of trust alone.  I need, for some
strange reason, to understand the goal.

So if I'm too stupid to understand and think through your intentions,
then I'm afraid you'll have to do this yourself.  At least I tried,
and tried very hard.